
NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell today announced the stage musical of the Academy Award- winning film An Officer and a Gentleman will have its world premiere season in Sydney in 2012.
Mr O’Farrell made the announcement aboard HMAS Sydney at Garden Island with Minister for Major Events George Souris and Producer John Frost.
“It is with great pleasure that I am able to announce another world premiere musical for Sydney, An Officer and a Gentleman, opening at the Lyric Theatre on May 24 next year,” Mr O’Farrell said.
“This is another major theatrical coup - Sydney was chosen over London and New York for the world premiere of this new stage production.
“Sydney is now officially the number one city for first run musicals in Australia.
“The NSW Government is getting on with the job of securing and hosting major events as part of our plan to rebuild the State’s economy – and there is no doubt with this most recent addition, the NSW Events Calendar is stronger than ever before.”
Minister for Major Events George Souris said pursuing major events, including blockbuster musicals, forms a key part of NSW Government’s strategy to rebuild the NSW economy.
“The Events team at Destination NSW estimate that internationally renowned musicals can generate close to $20 million over a six month run in direct economic impact,” Mr Souris said.
“With our list of musicals just getting longer, this is great news for the NSW economy. We expect people to travel from across Australia and the Asia Pacific to see these shows.
“Let’s not forget Sydney was chosen for the world premiere of Strictly Ballroom – The Musical over London and New York, the world premiere of Doctor Zhivago held earlier this year and the Australian Premieres of The Addams Family and Legally Blonde coming in 2012.
“This is in addition to the outstanding success of Mary Poppins, Jersey Boys and Hairspray and the highly anticipated upcoming productions of Rock of Ages and Annie.”
The 1982 film was recently listed by the American Film Institute as one of the top ten love stories of all time. This new production has been adapted for the stage by the original screen writer, Douglas Day Stewart, and co-writer Sharleen Cooper Cohen, with music and lyrics by Ken Hirsch and Robin Lerner.
It will be produced by Sharleen Cooper Cohen and John Frost, and directed by Simon Phillips (Priscilla Queen of the Desert The Musical).
Producer John Frost said he is thrilled to be able to bring this classic tale to life in musical theatre form.
“When we held a workshop of the musical in 2009, I knew instantly that I wanted to produce this wonderful show. It is a timeless tale of struggle, success, friendship and love, based on one of the most popular films of all time. We had offers to produce the show in London and in New York, but I’m very thankful that with the assistance of the Events team at Destination NSW, I can produce the World Premiere right here in Sydney,” Mr Frost said.
“After the success of the premiere of Doctor Zhivago earlier this year, Sydney has proven its credentials as the theatre capital of Australia and the ideal city to premiere Broadway bound musical productions.”
Sharleen Cooper Cohen said she was excited her musical is opening in Sydney.
“The fact that Sydney is home to Australia’s most beautiful naval base is only one of the reasons that’s it’s a perfect place to premiere the show that celebrates a Navy officer,” she said.
Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore MP said Sydney is again establishing itself as Australia's centre of musical theatre.
"Apart from the delights such shows offer, they encourage local, interstate and overseas visitors to Sydney, providing support to the City's hospitality, accommodation, retail, transport and fine dining industries.”